Korean Interpreter in Northeast – Chan Kyong
I began my career as an interpreter in Korea when I occasionally appeared on TV to interview visiting English speaking dignitaries while working as an English broadcaster for the Korean Broadcasting System (KBS Radio). I produced and wrote my own scripts for my programs which covered topics from news items to Korean music; culture to interviews; and a mailbag program.
Since 1996, I have worked as a freelance simultaneous/consecutive interpreter (English/Korean) and Translator (English/Korean/Japanese) in the New York area.
Interpreting and Translating Experience
Korean Broadcasting System (K.B.S. TV) – Interview Interpreting
- Nepalese Ambassador to the United Nations
- Brazilian Ambassador to Korea
- Charles DuToit, Conductor of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra
- 1973 Miss America, Terry Meeuwsen, Miss Kansas, Cynthia Sikes and a few other American participants
- A question & answer session at Dr. Chan E. Park’s Pansori performance in Manhattan
Korean Cultural Service NY
- Natural Dyeing Demonstration and Exhibition by Ms. Choi, Ok-Ja
- Korean Court Cuisine Lecture & Demonstration by Professor Yoon, Sook-Ja at the Museum of Art and Design
- Wood Carving Demonstration by Mr. Park, Chansu, an important cultural asset, at the Museum of Art and Design
- Meeting between the Minister (Cabinet Secretary) of Culture, Sports & Tourism and the Director of Museum of Modern Art (MoMA) in New York
Ewha Womans University
- Meeting between the Presidents of Ewha Womans University and SUNY Stony Brook
United Methodist Church (simultaneous – conference setting)
- New York Conference’s 4-day annual conference, every year since 1996
- General Conference: 12-day quadrennial conference
- Korean Ministry Night for 10 years: Scholarship and dinner (from Korean to English)
- U.M.W. (women’s group) Northeast Regional Quadrennial Conference
- General Board of Global Ministry meeting with Korean Methodist Mission Team
- School of Christian Mission
- World Methodist Council Meeting in Seoul, Korea
- World Methodist Conference in Seoul, Korea; and additionally consecutive interpreting of the address by Seoul’s Mayor to the conference.
Judicial Interpreting & Translating
- Registered Interpreter for the New York State Unified Court System
- Only State appointed Korean language court interpreter of Connecticut
- Japanese language interpreter for the State of Connecticut
- Korean back translating of pamphlets for the State of Connecticut’s Judicial Branch
- Interpreting for a group of Korean judges visiting New Haven courts, sponsored by the Korean Supreme Court, arranged by the Korean Embassy in Washington, D.C.
- Samsung America, Inc.
- Interior Décor International, Tokyo, Japan
- Pacific Investment Group
- Titan Management LP, Greenwich, CT
- Goldberg Survey Research
- Marriott Hotel at Glenpointe, NJ
- Prudential Connecticut Realty
- Schools in Fairfield County, CT and Westchester County, NY, For parent-teacher/specialists conferences and tests
- Stamford Hospital
- Michael I. Weintraub, M.D.
- Misak H. Abdulian, M.D.
- Joseph Eipe, M.D.
- Gnana Desigan, M.D.
- Stamford Partnership
- Yongja Kim, an author of Korean cookbooks: Translating selected recipes
- e-comArt: A painter, Mr. Oh, Chi Gyun’s New York debut at the Chelsea Art Museum Meeting of Mr. Oh with art critics and the Opening night
- Gallery HYUNDAI
- NY Projects: Media contact for Dr. Young Gull Kwon, Deputy Mayor of Seoul,
- Re-writing Ms. Yunghee Kim’s, NY Projects’ CEO, business proposal from Korean to English
- Amy Ringer
- Oak N. Yi
- Leah & Josh Yoon
Education and Credentials / Professional Memberships
Parsons School of Design, New York, NY (A.A.S. in Interior Design)
Ewha Womans University, Seoul, Korea (B.A. in Journalism)
Kyunggi Girls Middle & High School, Seoul, Korea
American Translators Association (A.T.A.)
National Association of Judicial Interpreters and Translators (N.A.J.I.T.)
Other Korean Translation pages
Articles related to Korean Translation